Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Keyboard problem in VMware under Ubuntu 8.10

In VMWARE Server on my fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10,after powering on a Windows XP vm, I realized that I could not use the some keys properly. On hitting the left arrow key, start menu was being displayed and other arrow keys had similar issues. Also, using VMware player was completely impossible as ctrl-alt-del wasn’t working.

To fix this issue, you simply need to run the following command,

echo 'xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = true' > /etc/vmware/config

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think correct is :
echo 'xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = true' >> /etc/vmware/config
Thank you for advice. It works for me on Ubuntu 9.04 with VMware server 1.0.9

Anonymous said...

Thanks, this helped me a lot! I couldn't config the vmware BIOS to boot differently because my arrow keys wouldn't work. And in the Linux VM I was running, I couldn't use the arrows to scroll through my history, which was annoying too. After appending that line to the config, and restarting the services and console app, it worked. Host is Ubuntu 9.04, VMware server 1.0.9 (like Anonymous above me).